Clarity Plug-in Hybrid
What is a Plug-In Hybrid?
The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid offers the benefits of an electric car, with the freedom of a hybrid. It uses a high-capacity battery for longer all-electric driving and, like a traditional hybrid, uses a gas-powered engine as back up for when electricity runs low:
- All-electric daily driver. With the class-leading* 47-mile all-electric range rating*, many daily trips can be made on battery power alone.
- Gas for distance. For longer trips, when the electric battery runs out, the gas-powered engine takes over to provide additional driving range, yielding the 340-mile combined gas and electric range rating*.
- Convenient charging. Plug in to electric outlets at home, work or any of the thousands of electric charging stations throughout the nation.
- While pure electric vehicles replace the fuel tank with only a battery, the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid combines the best of both worlds—including the ability to use the gas engine, and its unique features:
- Choose drive mode. Normal, ECON and Sport modes personalize how you use the engine and the battery.
- Recharge while driving. HV Mode uses the gas engine and one of the electric motors to help recharge the battery while cruising.
- Additionally, regenerative braking recharges the battery every time the accelerator is lifted and each time the brakes are applied.
- Drive on gas or electric. Use the gas-powered engine, battery-powered electricity or a combination of both.
What are the Advantages?
The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid can save you time and money with its flexibility and day-to-day savings, all in style:
- Avoid the pump. With the 47 all-electric range rating*, many commuters can drive on electric power alone, only needing to fill up the tank for longer drives.
- Charge anywhere. Conveniently charge at home with a standard 120-volt outlet*, and even more quickly with a 240-volt charger*. You can also take advantage of the thousands of charging stations across the country. Clarity Plug-In Hybrid owners also benefit from a roomy interior, as well as federal and state incentives:
- Room for five adults. A spacious interior with seating for five adults and eco-conscious materials makes for a sophisticated experience.
- Tax credit. Owners are eligible for up to a $7,500 tax credit through federal rebate programs. HOV and rebates. Many states offer additional benefits, like HOV eligibility and charger rebates.*
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What is a Plug-in Hybrid?
Plug-in hybrid vehicles, such as the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, are vehicles that use high-powered batteries to power an electric motor, and another fuel, such as gasoline or diesel, to power an internal combustion engine.
They run on electric power, storing enough electricity in the battery to significantly reduce gasoline usage under typical driving conditions. When driven in EV mode, they produce zero emissions, and when the battery becomes depleted, the vehicle automatically switches over to the traditional gas-powered engine to allow for continued driving.
Plug-in hybrids can be recharged by plugging them into an electrical outlet or charging station, through regenerative braking, or through the internal combustion engine.
Is the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid cleaner than gas-powered vehicles?
The Clarity Plug-in Hybrid emits less greenhouse gas and uses less gasoline than conventional vehicles. Getting electricity from renewable sources such as solar increases the benefit.
How does the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid maximize my driving range and efficiency?
The Clarity Plug-in Hybrid has various modes and technologies to maximize efficiency and range. There are three driving modes (econ, sport and normal), and there is regenerative braking with the ability to adjust the regenerative capture on the fly with the deceleration selectors on the steering wheel. The Clarity can also alternate between electric, hybrid, and direct gasoline engine drive depending on which is most efficient.
What size is the gasoline engine?
The engine is a 1.5L Atkinson-cycle 4 cylinder engine.
How fast does the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid go?
Thanks to the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid’s 232 lb-ft of torque, it is quick off the line. In Sport mode, the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid delivers enthusiast-level performance in terms of acceleration and top speed.
What is the benefit of instant torque?
The benefit is the immediate availability of all the motor’s torque from the moment you press the accelerator. The Clarity Plug-in Hybrid offers up all 232 lb-ft. of torque at just above zero RPM. The result is brisk, smooth acceleration right off the line.
What kind of maintenance is required?
Plug-in Hybrid vehicles can require less maintenance than gasoline only powered vehicles. Please see your owner’s manual for details on scheduled maintenance.
110 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) electric rating; 44 city/40 highway/42 combined MPG gasoline only rating. 47-mile maximum EV mode driving range rating. 340-mile combined gas-electric driving range rating. Ratings determined by EPA. Use for comparison purposes only. Your MPGe/MPG and driving range will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, battery-pack age/condition and other factors.